Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Northern Idaho

People always talk of Hawaii or the Cayman Islands and other tropical locations.  They may be nice places but I love northern Idaho. Sun, forests, mountains and beautiful lakes set together in perfect harmony. I see it as an all season playground for those who love the outdoors. I think I might like to retire there someday. Although we were only there a week we had a great time. We mountain biked the route of the Hiawatha, 
( An old railroad turned bike path.) we hiked mountain trails, we water skied and even spent a day at an amusement park. Mostly we relaxed and enjoyed being together away from everyday life. We did not think of cancer. I find myself thinking less and less about cancer every passing day. Sure, I have my moments where it dominates the forefront but for the most part it is background noise.
 While we were in Idaho we went to Silverwood theme park for a day. My daughter and I convinced my wife to go on a roller coaster. ( she is terrified of roller coasters ) The picture tells a thousand words but I would never share that picture. It depicted terror at it's purest form. It was later in the week while looking at that picture that I had an epiphany of sorts. My wonderful wife, my best friend and my soul mate is on a roller coaster every day of her life because of the disease that to me has become the elephant in the room.
Maybe I seldom think about it but she lives her life 3 months at a time. Her life is filled with rapidly changing peaks and valleys. It gives me comfort knowing that because I was able to be treated with Provenge, that the road she is forced to travel in the name of love has been much smoother. I wish all men with advanced Prostate Cancer could  receive Provenge early on in their treatment. I believe it would make a huge difference in their lives and in the lives of their families. All I really know is that it has made a big difference in my life.


I wish I could say it is good to be back from vacation but that would be a lie. I love being on vacation. I wish I could be like one of those guys who travels around eating weird food and getting paid to do it. It would be so cool to have vacation as a vocation. Yesterday I started work at 7a.m. got sent home at 1p.m. and told to return at 9 p.m. for a few hours. A few hours turned into 10 hours and I pulled into the drive at 7:30 this morning. What is the matter with my employer. Do they not realize that I have cancer. I could barely keep my eyes open on the 27 mile commute home.

So it is 2:30 in the afternoon on Wednesday July 3rd. I have to work at 6 a.m. tomorrow and then my band plays for the fourth of July celebration later in the evening. Tomorrow night will be the highlight of my month. Playing for 10,000 or more people feels like being a real rock star. I hope we don't suck. So anyway, thats pretty much all I have to say for today. Happy Independence day. Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment