Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The battle

    At the time of my diagnosis I was given a year. I fired that Doctor. Eighteen months later I was given 30 months. I fired that doctor as well. I was told by another doctor a few years later that I could not have Provenge. I fired that doctor as well. I knew in my heart that receiving Provenge was the key to any successful treatment plan. It had to be the first step. It only made sense to me. What could be more natural than turning your immune system on high to seek out and destroy cancer wherever it is in your body. It worked. It stopped the disease for 14 months and when disease progression started up again it was way slower than it was before. You see Provenge is still working and every drug that follows Provenge therapy is going to have the added benefit of a supercharged immune system to help it as well. Provenge is still working.
    We live in a day and age where for many men Prostate Cancer is a chronic disease. There is no cure as of yet for advanced disease but it can be treated indefinitely. We have medications to fight the disease but the biggest battle that takes place in this war takes place in the mind. I have said it a hundred times in the last 87 ( yes it has been that long since I was given a year to live ) months. People do one of two things when they hear the word cancer. They either put on the gloves or they pick up a shovel and start digging a hole. I hate to dig. I am a fighter. There are times when I cannot sleep. There are times that the reality that I have a terminal disease will not let go of my thoughts. Those are the times when I need more than statistics. Those are the times when my faith is tested. Those are the times I stand on psalms 103 verse 1-5. Bless the lord oh my soul, he who forgives my sins and heals me of all my diseases..
   I read an article today about Dendreon being in financial straits. I heard talks of debt, and bankruptcy, and bad business model. I don't know about all of that stuff. All I know is the stuff works and the leadership team of Dendreon needs to figure this out. Thousands of men are depending on you. I was told I had a year. I will not give up and it has been 87 months. I don't care what the street says about Dendreon. I don't care what a certain stock anylyst has to say about Dendreon. We all know it works.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Todd! I just got reading through a few of your posts and I had a quick question. I am also a member of the cancer community and I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance. Thanks! - emilywalsh688@gmail(dot)com.

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete