Monday, January 16, 2017

New thoughts on treatment

Friday night January, 13, 2017 at 8:30 PM after working the entire day I boarded a Southwest flight for Las Vegas. The purpose of my visit was to participate in the making of a patient facing video for Dendreon. I checked in to my hotel and finally got to my room at midnight. After a quick shower and brushing my teeth I went to bed. I had an 8 AM wake up call. 
At 9:15 Saturday morning I left my hotel and rode over to comprehensive cancer center. The video is a representation of a hormone refractory patient going to his oncologist to be prescribed Provenge therapy. The film crew was very professional and I was really at ease with the process. Nicholas Vogelzang played himself and I played the part of the patient. What surprised me the most however was that Nick treated it like a genuine appointment. Maybe that's what made it so easy. 
Keep in mind that throughout my battle with this disease, I have never had a Doctor who is considered an expert in the field like Nick is. Throughout the day I was able to have a ton of one on one interaction with one of the finest prostate cancer oncologist in the field. I asked a ton of questions and took A lot of mental notes. 
   
 
 Nick spoke of things regarding my treatment that I did not believe were possible. He spoke of curative treatment. He recommended that I consider having my prostate removed or at the very least consider Brachytherapy. He also believes that my history shows a tendency towards having a BRCA mutation. He recommends me being tested for it. 
   After we finished shooting Tony Crispino, his wife Ruthie, and I went out to lunch before they drove me to the airport. It is 1019 and I am almost home again. It was a whirlwind trip and one I will not soon forget. I have many things to think about. I may have some treatment decisions in my future. All I really know at the moment is it sure is good to be home.
    If I have a BRCA mutation then I am told that it is both a good and a bad thing. The bad equates to how quickly it spreads throughout the bones and other organs. Another negative aspect is that the gene is hereditary. I may very well pass it on to my offspring.
   On the positive side, this type of PCa. responds very well to hormone therapy indefinitely. It may be possible for to participate in intermittent hormone therapy.
   The other question I have to consider is whether or not I want my prostate treated. There is a chance that if I do then I might be cured. 
Cured!!!!
That is a really big word.
I have said in previous posts that I envy the cured. Now I am not so sure. I have been in remission for 5 years. It's true I would love some testosterone but other than that I have it pretty good. I am still capable of physical intimacy. I don't wet myself. I have a great life. Surgery could really screw all of that up. If I had surgery I might never again have an erection. So much to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment