Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Month 143

   Easter Sunday, April 1 I began month 143 of my journey. It’s hard to believe that almost 12 years has gone by since my diagnosis. Lately cancer has been an afterthought. Mandy and I rarely think about it at all. We go to work, We take care of our home, and we plan for the future. we talk of growing old together. Obviously, I will be much older than Amanda.
   For the last month we have been remodeling our home. Specifically, we have been remodeling Amanda‘s bathroom. Our home was built in 1979 and the bathroom fixtures are original equipment. I remodeled a home 20 years ago. It was a Huge undertaking at the time but I had energy to spare. I’m learning the difference 20 years can make. The good news is, I’m almost done. All that remains is to install doors, tile trim around the walls, and the tile tub surround. The bad news is, I’m out of gas. In addition to the bathroom we are pouring a concrete slab and putting up a metal building to park our camper and snowmobiles under. Every night after work I spend two hours on the projects. Amanda says I look exhausted and sick. The word Haggard comes to mind. That always makes me smile when I hear that word as I think of Merle Haggard.
   Our life reminds me of something that happened to me over 25 years ago. I was at church. During those years that is the place where I spent much of my time. For some unknown reason the pastor said during prayer, God wants to change your name. i’m not sure why he wanted to change my name. Maybe it is because my name rhymes with his.l, But at that time the only name that popped into my head was Job. “Job” Really!!!! I read the book. I know what happened to Job! 
   Funny thing is, it all happened. I lost everything. I even lost my health. 
   The book of Job is really about the promise of Job. Everything that Job lost was given back to him 7 times.
   I am happier today than I have ever been in my life. I have everything I have ever dreamed of. I wish I had a little more energy and testosterone would be great but Job is not such a bad thing.
   Well, y’all are probably thinking this is the dumbest thing You have ever read but I just felt like sharing my heart and this is my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment